Using non-natural body products that contain ‘unknown’ toxins can do more harm than good. Scientific studies have uncovered over 800 toxins in non-organic body care products – such chemicals can be absorbed into your body 3 times faster then water. In order to prevent these toxins from entering your body, before using a product, check to see if it has the following toxins in it.
- Paraben –Help prevent bacteria and mold growth in cosmetic products, but also proven to be one of the causes of breast cancer;
- Synthetic colours (FD&C / D&C) – These are synthetic colours made from petroleum or coal tar, which are known to be cancerous to humans;
- Fragrance – It is very concerning when you actually decode the meaning of ‘fragrance’ – it is a term created to protect companies’ ‘secret formula’, which can be filled with all kinds of chemicals. The risks include allergies and potential reproductive issues.
- Phthalates – These are linked to breast cancer and reproductive problems, but they are usually added into fragrances (since they are ‘secret formulas’), a loop-hole that can cause a lot of damage.
- Triclosan – It can make your bacteria antibiotic-resistant. YAIKS!
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) – It is known to be an eye, skin and lung irritant.
- Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) –This one combines with other chemicals to form nitrosamines, which can lead to kidney damage.
- Formaldehyde – This one is also rumoured to be carcinogenic, but it can also cause allergic skin reactions and harm your immune system.
- Toluene (Benzene) – Extremely harmful for pregnant women as it can damage the fetus.
- Propylene glycol – It can cause dermatitis and hives in humans.
- Sunscreen chemicals – These are most commonly known as benzophenone, PABA, avobenzone, ethoxycinnmate. They are easily absorbed into the body and are known to cause cancer as well.
Seeing as there are so many harmful toxins, it should be a no-brainer to go for natural body care products. But maybe I haven’t convinced you yet, so what are the benefits of switching to ‘La natural’ you ask?
Reduce Skin Irritation the Natural Way
If you have sensitive skin, chances are that most non-organic body products (such as ache creams) have left your skin dry, red and itching. Well, your skin is not the problem here, it is the product being used. By using natural ingredients such as tea tree oils and honey ,your skin will feel smooth and healthy, without any kind of discomfort.
Tale as Long as Time
Before people started scientifically concocting skin and body enhancing products, ancient people were using natural body care products, the ones that most natural products are based on today. So not only are natural products healthier now, they had been considered beneficial for centuries.
Body Products are Body Food
Everything we put on our skin gets absorbed by our pores, so we don’t only have to think about what enters our body through our mouth, but also through our skin. So next time you see a body product look at its ingredients and ask yourself “Would I put that in my mouth?” and then decide whether you should get it or not.
Good for Your Body, and the Planet’s Body
Using non-organic body products can cause a lot of damage to the environment. So by using natural body care products, you can actually help lessen the impact of pollution and enjoy a guilt free, glossy, fabulous skin.
Home-made Body Products
Did you know there are natural body care products that you can find in your kitchen and the store. Some of them include:
- Olive oil – It can be used as an organic makeup remover, skin moisturiser and hair conditioner.
- Coconut oil – Great for massages, preventing sagging and wrinkles, lip balm and lash conditioner.
- Aloe Vera gel – Use it to calm redness, help heal pimples and aid in clearing wrinkles.
- Honey – Ideal for chapped lips, cracked heels or rough elbows (apply before bed). Also a honey facial can be very hydrating and nourishing.